2010/07/27

Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia

According to my dad, today was supposed to be the best day of the entire trip. I asked him what could be more fun than the Hopewell Rocks and he told me that today’s eight-hour car ride would best yesterday’s events! At first, I thought that my dad was pulling off a sarcastic joke (as in today would be the worst day of the entire trip), but then he told me that we would be driving to Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia!


At 4:00pm, we entered Cape Breton Island. Another hour passed before we reached Cabot Trail. Upon making a left turn and beginning to drive along Cabot Trail, I noticed a drastic change in the scenery. Forests and highlands appeared on either side of the road and it felt as if we were driving through a wilderness wonderland. In reality, we had entered the Appalachian Mountain range. The rolling hills (Highlands) were once giant mountains, but over the course of time, erosion has reduced the size of these mountains to rolling Highlands. After thirty minutes of driving, Cabot Trail swerved right and followed the coastline of Cape Breton Island. From here, the beauty increased by tenfold. Cabot Trail began to ascend and descend the Highlands and offered us panoramic views of both the undulating landscape and the rushing waves from the sea. My dad stopped at several look-outs and allowed me to snap some wonderful photos of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.


At , we reached the beginning of Cape Breton Highlands National Park; I thought that we had entered the national park hours ago! As we purchased our park permit and stared in awe at the landscape, the nice young man in the booth assured us that the real beauty has just begun to reveal itself.

With darkness approaching, we decided to camp at Chéticamp. Upon arriving at our campsite, we were pleasantly greeted by a hoard of flies and mosquitoes. After taking a bath (I last took a bath at Fundy National Park after the visit Hopewell Rocks), I crawled into my sleeping bag and slept the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment