2010/07/24

Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec



The day that I was waiting for (or dreading…) finally arrived when I stepped into the van (sealing my fate for the next two weeks) and began to fool around with my brother this morning. Why someone would pass up a fourteen-day mega-trek through the Atlantic Maritime eco-zone beats me, but when a door to basketball camp and video games was also open, I found myself reconsidering the “obvious” decision I had made a few days ago that did not seem as “obvious” as it was at 8 o’clock this morning. Despite my initial resentment in being forced to embark on this journey in a cramped, “full-to-the-roof-with-luggage-and-everyday-essentials-for-two-weeks” van, I rejoiced at the fact that we would be camping thirteen out of the fourteen days of our journey (I am a person who loves the outdoors and enjoys every minute of camping except the minutes in which arguments take place).

The day quickly passed, or so my dad said. In my opinion, when your Ipod is stuck at home and all you can do to pass eight hours in a vehicle that is so cramped that you “cannot stretch the two legs in front of you without hitting a sleeping bag” is play “Yu-gi-oh” with a little brother, the day will pass as if it were a day on Pluto (6.4 Earth days). When the trip was only four hours old, my brother began to throw a terrible tantrum and forced my dad to stop at a typical service centre with a McDonald’s restaurant. I was itching to put my French skills into action (we were in the outskirts of Quebec, where all the cashiers’ names began with Jean-Sebastian), but my dad announced that we would be eating congee and other exotic Asian (Chinese) cuisines. I could only glance helplessly at the family next to us indulging themselves in Big-Macs!

Four more hours quickly passed before my dad decided to stop for the day by settling into a motel in Rivière-du-Loup ($75/night). Today was a big drag and I tried to make it as interesting as possible (although I might have bored anyone reading this from my trip already – just treat today as a very long prologue to an amazing story)! I’ll be looking forward to all the fun that my dad had promised weeks ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment